Friday, July 26, 2013

Theater Room: Scrabble Tile Wall Art

I have seen a lot of scrabble tile wall art on pinterest. Most of them were for names of people in the family.  Our theater room had a large wall to cover so I decided that instead of our names I would do scrabble tiles of our favorite movie genres. I love how it turned out.



I purchased 1 x 5 x 8 boards and cut them to 5 x 5 square tiles using a circular saw.


I sanded down the edges to make them look more like scrabble tiles. Make sure you wear a face mask and goggles because this can get very dusty. I was also working in my garage and I forgot to roll my car windows up. Let's just say I had a huge mess to clean up afterwards.



I printed off letters from the computer using Typewriter font. I just kept adjusting the font size until I got what I wanted.


I rubbed the back of the letters with a pencil and then traced the letters onto the wood. This left a good impression so I could paint them. 


Once I had all of them traced onto the boards I just hand painted them with black craft paint and put a coat of Modge Podge on them to protect them.  I decide not to stain them before I painted on the letters because I liked the look of the raw wood.


I hung them with Command Strips so I wouldn't have to put so many holes in my wall. The hardest part of this project is getting them hung straight. After I took this photo I noticed some of them weren't lined up properly. Luckily I used the command strips so I just had to pull them off and adjust accordingly. This won't work if they are way off but if you just have some "tweeking" it works perfectly.


This is a very dark room (as a theater should be) so the picture isn't that great. I have two other projects that I am working on for the theater room and I will post those in the near future. One is a pallet sign and the other is a ticket booth mirror. Once those are completed I will also post pictures of the completed theater room.










No comments:

Post a Comment